The Montessori method
Maria Montessori is an Italian doctor and teacher. She created her own child education system – a century ago – in the early 20th century. At first, the system was designed for children with special needs, and then it works for everyone else. Many parents choose to give their child in Montessori kindergarten, others try to apply the Montessori method at home.
The essence of her method can be described in a few words:
“Help me do it myself.”
Montessori believed that every child from birth aspires to knowledge.
All parents and educators need to create an evolving environment, to teach children how to use objects and allow them to choose what, how and how much to play with.
What are they, who are they and how long do the sensory periods last according to Dr. Maria Montessori?
In short, sensory or sensitive periods are the age at which the child easily, naturally learns certain things.
- Period of perception of the order (from 0 to 3 years). Meaning, it is more difficult to teach a four-year-old to clean up after himself, than a two-year-old child.
By the way, maintaining cleanliness is one of the principles of the method. Children learn not only to put toys in place but also, for example, to wipe the spilled water, wash away spilled cereals, wash dishes, and participate in general cleaning.
- The period of development of movements and actions (from 1 to 4 years). It is time for playgrounds, stairs, slides and rocking chairs. When the child should actively develop coordination and strengthen various muscle groups, that will help him in the future.
- Sensory development period (from 0 to 5.5 years). A long period, when the child gets to know the world through sounds, smells and sensations. At this time, his notions of color, shape, size and so on are formed.
- Period of perception of small objects (from 1.5 to 5.5 years). For the development of very fine motorics of the child. Montessori offers to use the simplest materials: playing with beads, beans, peas and other cereals, stringing beads on a foal and arranging puzzles.
- The period of development of the speech (from 0 to 6 years). If the child does not speak after a year, everything is fine. Children’s speech develops by the age of six. Maps, visuals, books help a lot in this regard. And of course the presence of an adult around – parent or educator.
- Period of development of the social skills (from 2.5 to 6 years). At the same time, there is no point in forcing the child to congratulate or be polite.